Thursday, June 14, 2012

Part D: Findings & Implications

Last week I was able to implement my wicked problem project with two students in my second grade classroom.  Using jing and powerpoint I created a math tutorial to assist students who needed more support using the tens and ones addition strategy. Here are my findings and implications:


Formative: Did the project get implemented as planned? 
While other students were working on math problems or playing math games I implemented my wicked problem project with one of my students.  Part of the implementation was to use an ipad for students to view the tutorial I created.  When I attempted to connect to the tutorial link provided by jing, it would not connect on the ipad.  I quickly switched gears and had the student use my computer to view the tutorial.  Other than the use of a computer rather than an ipad my project was implemented as planned.  
 
Summative: Evidence of success in addressing the problem of practice
After getting each student setup at a computer and giving a quick explanation of what they needed to do, both of my students were able to use the tutorial independently.  One of the students who used the tutorial struggles with work independence.  I was very interested to see if technology would improve his ability to be on-task.  I was pleasantly surprised to see this student was able to follow along, was fully engaged, and completed the guided practice and independent practice when prompted to do so on the tutorial.   This was a huge sign of success to me.  I spend a huge amount of time supporting this student, and the fact that he was engaged and on-task for ten minutes independently was a huge success!  The other student was able to complete the guided practice and independent practice independently as well, and answered the questions correctly.  Due to the time of the school year I wasn't able to see if either of their skills transferred into daily learning, but I found the tutorial to be successful in the little time I had to implement it. 
  
How would you approach another project of this type differently given what you’ve learned here?
As I mentioned in my podcast, I would like to find a way to create the tutorial quicker and easier.  I have heard that the latest version of word and powerpoint has a whiteboard feature, which would be a great way to show each step of adding and subtracting as I'm recording with jing.  This would allow students to watch me step-by-step, as if I were in front of them teaching on a whiteboard in class.  I love using jing, and plan to continue using it.  It is very user-friendly for both the creator and the viewer.  One downfall of jing is the time-limit of five minutes, but I don't feel I would need more than five minutes to record since I have places within my tutorial where students need to pause and practice independently.   
 
What are the lessons learned that others might benefit from knowing about?
As I mentioned above the whiteboard feature in the latest version of powerpoint and word could be great tools for creating tutorials.  Anyone who is looking for a whiteboard feature to create presentations or tutorials should look into the newest version of powerpoint and word.  

In what ways will you endeavor to do the same project again, and what will you change or not do?
I found the tutorial created through jing to be very successful for my students. I have thought about creating tutorials with extension activities or challenge activities for my high achieving math students versus creating tutorials for students who need additional support.  Either way I found the idea of the tutorial to be very beneficial and successful in my classroom. 

2 comments:

  1. I'm glad that the implementation of your project went well! Good thinking using your computer instead of your iPod. I like your idea of using a White Board next time. I love Jing too. It is very user friendly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad your project went so well. It would be interesting to use this starting at the beginning of the year to see how it effects students Your project gave me the idea to try the same thing in my classroom. Great work!

    ReplyDelete