Friday, May 13, 2011

Getting Things Done

I started my Getting Things Done process on a Monday when I was feeling overwhelmed by the tasks for CEP 810 and also the week ahead in my own second grade classroom. I have always been one to write down a “to-do” list, so this activity was right up my alley.
I organized my process by sticking with paper and pencil because there is something very pleasing to me about crossing a task off my list. I might try an alternative and paper free method eventually, but feel I would have a hard time not being able to physically cross off a completed task.
It was a little different and time consuming going through this process the first time. I read through each task and made some notes about each one. Next step was to organize each task. I don’t usually add dates to my list, but this was the most helpful part for me. Visually seeing which activities needed to be done and when was very helpful and put my mind at ease.
I feel the process was very beneficial for me. As soon as I wrote down my tasks for the week I felt a weight lifted from me. I have noticed during my first year of teaching that I am responsible for remembering a lot of things! Writing tasks down is very necessary for me. The added step of organizing helped put priority on certain tasks, specifically ones that had a due date.
I will continue using the GTD process. The quote included in the activity by David Kekich, “Anxiety is caused by a lack of control, organization, preparation, and action,” is very true in my life. I never go into a day of teaching unorganized or unprepared because I get high anxiety and feel out of control. This process helps me ensure all tasks get completed and I can feel prepared and ready for each day.

2 comments:

  1. What is it about making a list that relieves the stress right away? Somehow seeing the tasks on paper or online means being able to see how to better manage those tasks. If something looks super big we can relieve more stress by reducing the big tasks into smaller ones. The next thing you know there is a plan of action in there some place and a lot less stress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For me I believe it is just getting it out of my short-term memory and knowing I don't have to keep remembering it. Throughout the day I will have little things "pop" into my head that I need to do, and as soon as I write those things down I feel so much better.

    ReplyDelete