Wednesday, May 4, 2011

RSS

I have included a screenshot of my google reader home page, as well as a comment I made on a blog called "Two Writing Teachers."














Since beginning my RSS page I have been following several feeds daily. One RSS page is Michigan Education and Schools found at MLive.com. It has been interesting to hear about the many perspectives of Snyder’s proposed cuts to school aid funding. Almost daily there is an article about a school district fighting back in some way, such as the article, “Bay City teachers hope to change minds at ‘Grade-In.’ Unfortunately the daily articles on MLive are mostly about budget cuts, potential layoffs, and an occasional general education update. Another favorite page I have been reading daily is a blog called Two Writing Teachers. Each day the blog has a different feel to it. Yesterday’s post was entitled “Words that are Speaking to me.” This included an inspirational quote by Dodinsky, which read, “Today, fill your cup with sunshine and laughter.” A few days prior there was a post about misused apostrophes and clever ways to teach the importance of proper apostrophe use to your students. I love following this blog because you never know what you’re going to get when you check in each day.
I have really enjoyed following my Google reader pages. It has become a new part of my daily routine to check in with at least a few of my favorite pages. By following the ISTE Connects news feed I have learned about several inspiring ways to use technology in the classroom. The Two Writing Teachers blog has taught me some great writing mini-lessons to incorporate into writer’s workshop. Last Monday, Ruth, from The Two Writing Teachers, included a very invigorating blog post about a wonderful way to encourage her students to continue writing throughout the summer. The lesson felt so powerful to me that I plan to give it a try this week. What I have learned the most from creating my Google reader account and following several news feeds is that my personal learning network can continue to grow in so many ways, and there are so many great resources right at my fingertips.
I haven’t quite figured out how I would incorporate the capabilities of a RSS reader page into a second grade classroom, but I think it would be great to use in an upper elementary classroom. Students could subscribe to the local newspaper or their favorites sports newsfeed. Students could check in each week and write a response to what they read. As mentioned above I feel I will learn so much about myself and continue to find new ideas to use in my classroom by checking my RSS pages daily.

No comments:

Post a Comment