Monday, May 30, 2011

Learning Style


After taking the learning styles quiz I scored the highest in intrapersonal. This didn’t surprise me because I am very independent, self-reflective, and introverted person and learner. Even today as a teacher I learn best by doing, then reflecting on what I learned and how I can improve. In school I struggled with classes that were focused on lecture and whole group discussions. I never wanted to participate because it wasn’t “my thing.” I still remember dropping my junior year economics class because each class was a lecture. I was learning nothing from his class and was panicking that I would not pass. I learn best when a concept is modeled and I can independently practice the concept directly after learning it.

Meeting the needs of all my students can be difficult. I focus on having a variety of activities in a given unit and making the culmination of the unit meet all learning styles. If a lesson can include ways to meet the needs of visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learners I will try to incorporate them all into a lesson. I think the most important thing is allowing choice within lessons. During reader’s workshop in my classroom students have the opportunity to read with partners, read individually, and also meet with me in a group setting to learn reading strategies and have discussions about books within their groups. I have a variety of manipulatives available such as retell ropes and wooden checkmarks to practice checking for understanding to support kinesthetic learners.

1 comment:

  1. Here's a thought based on your 'not my thing' comment. Should students be allowed to opt out of certain kinds of learning activities (assuming we tried to consider learning styles)? What if it is the primary activity of the day i.e. group work? Will 'insisting' that students try something different improve or hamper their learning? Hmmmmmm?

    ReplyDelete