Sunday, May 8, 2011

Social Networks

Social networks can be used in a variety of ways professionally and personally. With the options of school choice growing, social networks can help parents and students gain awareness of different schools. The use of a social network to promote the school or district you teach in can be very powerful. Social networks are also a great way for parents to stay involved and make a building have a greater feeling of community when everyone is connected.
On a personal level I found a great connection with a quote in the article, “Social Networking Goes to School.” The author discusses how teachers can use social networks to find new teaching ideas worldwide and not feel so isolated to their classroom. I find this very true. Facebook allows me to listen to co-workers in my building and other buildings share teaching ideas or even just share a funny story from their day. It is great to have such an easy way to connect and network with each other. As a lower elementary teacher I don’t push for my students to be involved in social networks, but I think it would be great to have a classroom facebook page for parents and students to follow.

No comments:

Post a Comment